Gym thoughts

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by CitizenSal, Jun 14, 2017.

?

Would you like to see player gyms?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. CitizenSal

CitizenSal The Salamence (Admin)
    Staff Member

Hello guys,
    If you do not know me i am Sal and i am an admin on Evolvecraft. As an Admin i am suppose watch over everyone and try to improve the server. Over the past few days i have noticed one thing that I feel like could be better, the gym system.

The NPCs system we have is used very minimumly and personally i feel like it is struggling. I talked to the original person who made the system we have (a former head admin) and he agreed that he doesn't like the system he put in. He feels like it could be improved since he made it very difficult to do, and feels like NPCs shouldn't really be THAT challenging. He also was very disappointed the fact that Player Gyms were removed from the picture in general.

Player Gyms is a very common thing on succesful servers, and i feel like it could work on Evolvecraft and improve player numbers and player interaction with the server. Some may argue we don't have the player numbers for gyms, which I completly see as well. But i know that the person that made the system originally already had player gyms filled out and had 2 leaders for every gym. However he resigned from the staff team and the player gyms died with it. But i do feel like we could have player gyms to improve our interaction and numbers on pixelmon.

So I want to know your guys opinion on gyms, what do you think we should do to improve player interaction with them. Do you think we should add a section of player gyms (not every gym be player just like one league). Do you think NPCs need to be nerfed down in difficulty? Do you think that Salamence is the best pokemon ever, because i think that as well.
    Let me know on this post and vote on the poll if you think player gyms should be added (but also explain in the post why)
    (Note this is not a full blown given that something will change, i just want to see people's opinions on everything and it will be great to know)

2. IrishManHurley

IrishManHurley Irish Head Admin
    Staff Member

Player Gyms was supposed to implemented in Hoenn, so if we were to do it that's where they would be. Personally I think staff should be holding places as the lower leaders as we are on a lot and I know most staff are quite good at battling (cough me cough). Then any players that have beaten all gyms battle the elite 4 and then can also have a chance of being the champion. The champion holds their title until they lose and may only regain the title by challenging the elite 4 again and the new champion. This has all been said before but thought I'd leave it in again.

The current NPCs are definitely way too challenging (and troll) to keep people playing. It discourages the players if they can't beat the gyms. The teams need to be changed up by a knowledgeable person of different "fair" teams that are fun for non-competitive and competitive players. Also need to encourage players to challenge gyms and maybe have prizes for them if they present a staff member with such and such badge i.e. "if you present the fire badge you get a shiny".

IrishWomanHurley and Crvsteiiz like this.
  3. CitizenSal

CitizenSal The Salamence (Admin)
    Staff Member

You have just literally hit the nail on the head with what I want to see!! I'm totally down for been a Dragon Gym Leader should we go through with it.

4. Th3Critic

Th3Critic Some Guy

Damn the guy that made the gym system sounds like a total dick and he even left, wow he should be banned what a cunt.

IrishManHurley likes this.
  5. Iodise

Iodise Moderator
    Staff Member

I really, really like the idea of player gyms, and would fully support it happening, it gives players something more to do, and something to aspire to, to be a gym leader, or to beat the gyms. However, some complications do come into play, the activeness of players is likely the most important, if players cannot even fight the gym in the first place it can be become increasingly frustrating, especially if the gym leader is in a different time zone.

Another idea could also be to make Gym Leaders harder then Co-Leaders but reward players more for beating a Gym Leader over a Co-Leader. Along with this would need to be a bunch of guidelines that would balance out gyms and differentiate the leaders from the co-leaders, maybe legends being allowed for leaders, or only HA mons being allowed for leaders. There are many threats, most prominently Blaziken (Why I run 3 priority on my team xD) which becomes exceptionally good with Speed Boost. Other ideas could be to limit the amount of EVs run on a Pokemon but this idea would also come with a lot of flaws such as gaining EVs from just defeating opposing players Pokemon in general. The point of making Gym Leaders harder then Co-Leaders would give players options to choose easy routes or hard routes for more of a challenge.

Then thirdly, and probably the most prominent issue would be lack of knowledge of Pokemon, a player gym leader has to be knowledgable of Pixelmon and good team building to get there in the first place, where as a challenger does not always have to be. Some players on the server would need to learn how to make a successful team to try and even start taking on these gym leaders in the first place, most players don't even know about EVs, IVs and Natures yet, I didn't when I first started. This could lead to less competitive players going against competitive players and going on a loss streak, making them less motivated for the experience that we are trying to provide and could potentially make people enjoy these ideas in the first place.

This could be a possible idea, yet i've not thought it through to much but it sounded good in my head : To challenge player leaders, you would have to defeat all of the other regions in the first place, then also implement a way of teaching players how to train teams throughout the NPC Leaders, surprisingly the NPC leaders are actually fairly challenging, and after losing to NPC Leaders or completing the entire region, players could be awarded a book of some kind that could teach them about EV Training and Breeding ect, or even just hint at it so that their curiosity makes them google it in the first place.

As much as I would like to see gym leaders return for my own sake, we need to consider both positives and negatives on including it into the EvolveCraft experience.

CitizenSal likes this.
  6. Th3Critic

Th3Critic Some Guy

I guess i should stop trolling lol and be serious with this response.

Iodise my original plan (well the shortest rundown i can give) for the gyms were to make two npc leagues which were suppose to go up in difficulty after each region. Kanto being the easiest and Johto being slightly harder. Wanted the caps the way they were but looking back at it, it was mistake because of what the idea i really wanted wouldn't work sadly (since i made my teams trolley that they are bad, but the npcs didn't use the trolley moves sadly). Then if you beat all the npcs + Elite 4 i planned on giving them a perm to a kit which would help explain Evs/Ivs and give them items to help them in training those.

Then the Player gyms were going to be level 100 and the hardest to be. And my plan for that was that to apply to be a gym leader you would have had to beat an entire league of gyms (either one worked). And to face gym leaders you would have to have beaten at least half of a league, that way you at least know the ropes.

However after i finished the Johto NPCs i resigned from staff due to lets just say some issues, and well that plan kinda just all died and it went down from there. I like the idea of the book system you are talking about, would be interesting. Actually something even better that we did on the map previous was that i made a Ev/Iv Area that explained each item and what ivs/evs are. It was a very helpful thing a lot of people used :( but sadly it isn't on this map anymore.

I still think that the kit should still be a thing for people completing the leagues and as well as the champion given a special reward being a champion. However, I think if anything does happen i believe that the NPC plugin itself needs to be whiped completely for changes just because of how broken it is currently (like me for example who can't even collect badges anymore but still has extra room).

7. andrewnicki

andrewnicki New Member

I like how difficult the NPC gyms can be, I just wish you could battle more than once. Since you really can't get any awards other than badges, I don't see a problem with this. I think it's a great way to train lower level pokemon, as sometimes I feel bad going to the EV room and using the trainers there because I feel like I'm cheating that way. It would also be nice to get practice and see what teams work well. If you beat all the gyms, what really is there to strive for if you can't do them again? I really like being forced to a level 50 cap and trying to beat the Pewter gym, but I could only do it one time :(

Now to the issue of player gyms, I think that would be a good idea too! I'm nowhere near the capability of fighting a player gym, but I think it's a great challenge to strive to. I think that player gyms should also be run as the leader sees fit. For example, if the leader wants to set a level 50 cap, and make it a double battle, that should be the way the gym is run! I think this adds an extra challenge because now you have to make a sweet team of level 50's. Specifically, I just wouldn't want EVERY gym to be level 100, because then it really just feels the same.

8. Th3Critic

Th3Critic Some Guy

lol broken record time.
    I 100% agree with everything. My original plan had it so that if you became a leader you can pick the type of battle you wanted ex single/double.
    However i did want to keep the caps at 100 for it being more balanced and so you don't have to constantly adjust to levels. But i feel like it would be interesting for that you are saying.
    And in my opinion.... If you can beat the NPCs you are ready for Players :)

9. ItsJ0k3r

ItsJ0k3r New Member

Player gyms are probably the only thing this server is missing. We have everything when it comes to meeting someones expectations when it comes to a pixelmon server except for the player gym part. Plus if it works out we could have more player gyms in a future region.

10. Connor

Connor New Member

Beating an NPC gym leader is not fun, they are monotonous and predictable. The element of strategy a player leader brings to a battle cannot be simulated with an NPC. Anyone who plays fifa will understand. No one plays offline divisions- they are boring, standard and not fun to play. Online divisions however gives a thrill that no computer can recreate.
    Not only this, when you are battling someone you know it gives you an extra initiative to want to win, increasing the tension and quality of the battle. Personally, I do not see the achievement of beating an NPC leader,you can literally replay the battle until you know exactly what they are going to do and when they are going to do it. An actual leader could do anything at anytime, they can see things and out-predict any NPC.
    Although I do see the appeal of NPC's such as always being available, the benefits of having an actual leaders greatly outweighs this.

Sidenote, the fact that the caps are all level 100 make the gyms too easy to sweep through. The fun of the old system was having to build a team for each gym, using counters - otherwise things get boring too quickly.